Thursday, March 12, 2009

Back from PCV visit

Today, I'm in Kampala again, just stopping on the way back from our PCV visits. I went to visit a volunteer in the Makono District. Her village is right on Lake Victoria - it was beautiful; I really felt like I was at the ocean...except for the fact that we can't swim in it b/c of a really awful disease called schistomastis (something like that). But it was really nice to see an actual PCV's site, her house, how they live, what the cook, their job, activities, etc. I arrived on Monday afternoon; she showed me around her village, and I met some of her colleagues. On Tuesday, we spent some time relaxing and then attended the women's group meeting. It was really interesting to see how they collect and track loan payments of the women. These women run a fishery, own cows, small stands, make and sell soap, make water purifiers. And then on Wednesday, we visited a couple of the schools where the volunteer is running a sanitation competition with their latrines, drinking water, trash, etc. We then met up with some of the other trainees and volunteers, made dinner and slept at a Catholic convent. The volunteers took really good care of us - making us great food and telling us all about the next 2 years. We're in Kampala today for a little while and then back to training for Friday and Saturday. Only about 5 more weeks of training before we finally get sworn in as PCVs!

Other than that, I'm still doing great - no sickness except a minor cold I had earlier this week, but I am already all better from it. I'm still enjoying it and loving Uganda and am excited to move to site in late April. I honestly don't really miss home/the U.S. yet; I just really miss the news and hearing about Obama daily. The BBC still doesn't do it justice. Hopefully, I will be receiving the Economist soon. Anyways, hope all is well with everyone back home! May be awhile until I post again although I hope to make it to Kampala on Sunday to visit a friend. Give me a call!