Thursday, April 30, 2009

First Week at Site!

I have officially been at my site for one week. And I love it. I don't have too much to say in this post other than I'm doing very well. My house is great - brand new, really nice; there's still work to be done on it that they're currently doing, but it's definitely liveable. I don't have electricity or running water yet (hopefully soon, especially the electricity), but it's a clean, nice, safe and rather large house. I have 3 rooms, all about the same size - 2 bedrooms and one living room. Oh, and there's a kitchen room attached to the porch. I'm starting to get it all set up. Furniture is in the process of being made - will have most of it by next week. Thus far, I have a bed, dresser to hang all my clothes, dining table, 2 chairs and carpet that I bought. I am still waiting on a nighstand, real dresser, sofa, coffee table, bed for the spare bedroom and two tables for my cooking area. The problem with having a large house is there's a lot to furnish, but it's okay. I really just want to get my house set up sooner rather than later. In the last week, I've been shopping in town, getting all the cookware, dishes, etc that I need to live. About every other day, I see my friend, Amy, who lives 11 miles from me out in the village. We also hung out with our other friend, Adam, who is the next town on the main road. My supervisor has also been taking me around town to meet everyone - police chief, LC (Local chairperson), church, schools, etc. He's really been great in helping me to acclimate to my town. My counterpart has also been great. She lives just diagonally from me so she brings me water, cooked me breakfast on my first day (since I didn't have any dishes or food or gas for my stove) and just helps me get my house set up.

I've had some really good discussions with my supervisor (the Executive Director of the NGO) and my counterpart about what they see me doing with the organization, what they want me to get done in the next couple months, and it all sounds amazing. The organization is still very, very new, but it seems to have good funding, lots of interest from others, great goals. I'm still waiting for the catch...I feel this is just too good to be true, at times. We also have a lot of people from abroad coming in the next few months to work with us - 13 from the Netherlands in July, a consultant from Boston in June and some other Americans, I think, in August. It should be a fun summer! I really have no complaints. Ask me in a few more weeks.

What else?? I am about a 10 minute walk from town - the perfect distance - away from the commotion, but close enough to walk and be able to carry things I buy home. I am in a double house, but my neighbors who were living in the other half moved out to the village this past weekend so someone from my NGO will be moving in there soon. I will appreciate having the company; it is a bit lonely at times since I have to be in my dark (7pm). To everyone reading this, my life probably sounds pathetic at this point...I am in my house with doors locked by 7, asleep by 8 (I have no electricity or furniture so what else can I do!?), and awake by 6:30 to go for a run. I wash dishes, clothes, go to town, eat one meal a day, visit with friends/people in town. Yeah, that's my life for now. Next week, I will be at the office more so I'm looking forward to getting started.

Oh, and it is much hotter here than in the central region where we were for training. I knew it would be, but woah. The sun is so much stronger; I am getting a good tan - of course, only on my face and lower arms, but still. It is hot. It's hard finding a time during the day to even go running. I go early in the morning as soon as the sun rises, but it is still brutal.

Tonight, I am cooking dinner for a couple from State College, PA, who are here in Uganda for a few weeks to work with local farmers. They are retired farmers themselves and travel around the world, helping others. Amy and I met them randomly at a restaurant last weekend and since, have seen them about every day. They are leaving on Sunday so I decided to have them over for spaghetti (the only thing I can cook right now). And this weekend, I am going to Mbale with some others from my group. Mbale is about an hour south of me - very fun town - clubs, bars, pool and a lot more stores to get things I can't get here in my town.

I keep forgetting to get my new address from my boss. I will be using the post office box for my NGO so I will post that next time - I promise! Thanks for all the e-mails and calls this past week - they've been great! Miss you all - come visit!