Now, what everyone is really waiting for....I found out on Wednesday lats week, finally, where I'll be living for the next two years. I'll be living in Kumi District. It's in the east on the way to Lira, Gulu (the farther north). My town is not very big, but it's big enough that it has some supermarkets (not like the ones at home, but bigger than the one where I'm living now - which means it'll have pretty much everything I want, I hope) and a hotel, etc so it sounds good. My organization is very new, but it was started by a Catholic priest who was the counterpart (mentor/supervisor) for another PCV last year. He was moved to another town and then started this organization, which the other PCV has been working with as her secondary project. Now, I will be there official PCV. Normally, PC has a rule that organizations must be in existence for at least 1 year in order to receive a PCV, but they really felt good about this organization and its people. Basically I will be working with VSLAs (Village Savings & Loan Associations aka a form of microfinance!), small enterprise development, agribusiness and some other things as I'm sure the job description will change...but all in all, it's exactly what I wanted.
I met my counterpart for the first time yesterday during our PCV/host organization workshop, and she's great! Very intelligent, very hardworking, meticulous, a leader - I think we will work really well together. She has over 10 years of experience working with similar NGOs, and her position now w/ this NGO is "Program Manager," and I will be working with her on most projects so I'm sure I will learn a lot from her. I haven't met the Executive Director, the priest, yet, but I will meet him tomorrow when I arrive at my site.
Since the organization is so new, I came at a really good time. They are currently doing training for their volunteers for the VSLA groups and the field officers so I will be able to participate in these trainings, as well. Also, in June, a French man is coming to the organization to help us write our strategic plan so I will be a part of that, as well. I am really excited to start working (which will be on Monday). Although I technically don't have to work for the first three months at site, I want to. I'm a workaholic, and I can't wait to start working with them.
As for my house...it is brand new, just built. In fact, it's still in the process of being built. The info I received last Wednesday about my house included electricity, running water, toilet, 2 bedrooms, a living room, bathroom, shower, a fence. I'm not going to lie - I was quite excited. However, when I talked to my counterpart yesterday at the workshop, I found out a little different information. It doesn't have electricity, toilet or shower now, but it will. Maybe electricity in 1-2 weeks (that's on the hopeful side), and the tile for the bathroom is currently being laid down as well as the hole being dug for the toilet in the bathroom - which is all fine, I have no problem with it. It's just funny how things change. I think almost all of us found out some differences between what was written on paper about our houses last week and then what we actually heard from our supervisors yesterday. Some houses aren't ready, and my friends have to live in rented houses until they are completed; others found out they have to share a latrine and bathing area with their neighbors. Oh, it was interesting! But still, I'm keeping a positive outlook on the housing situation. The house will be great once it's all completed, and until then, I will be living just as I have been for the last 2 months - bucket baths and no electricity - I can do it, no problem!
So all in all - I'm in a good-size (small, but big enough) town, great organization/job and great house when it's all done. Oh, and two of my good friends will be living near me. One of them, Amy, will be in a village just 11 miles outside of my town - she will have to come to the town for any shopping, etc. And my other friend will be about 30 mins or so far from me in another town. And then there are 3 more people in another, larger, town about an hour north of us. This is just PCVs from our group - there are a few others in the region. Most of my other friends from my group are in the central region, around Kampala, and some a bit further east.
I think that's about it...I want to go buy some new books now, meet my friends for lunch and do some shopping at a Target-like store! Tomorrow morning at 7, 6 of us have rented a matatu (taxi van that fits 14 people) to take us and all our luggage to our houses. It will be about 5 hours for me, I think. And it's only costing us each $18! Now, let's just hope our taxi driver shows up tomorrow!
People have been asking me for my new address - please just wait a few more days. I forgot to ask my counterpart about it yesterday so I will find out tomorrow and try to get back on internet. I'm not sure if I will just use the organization's address or get a mailbox to share with my friend in town.
Hope you are all doing well! E-mail me with updates! I am sure I will have internet in my town.